Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Wax Cotton

You can Google the origins of waxed cotton and it's uses so I won't waste your time with that. I can share with you mine and my friends' experiences with the material.

Alotta British, Australians and Americans been wearing it for years. In general these same companies that have been around for awhile have been making exceptional quality even up to this day pardoning one. There's some new players in the game but I can't verify of the quality at this time. Some companies word it in a deceptive manner to imply they're using wax cotton but are actually a synthetic coating. Usually these can be spotted by their extra plastic shininess and all around crappiness.

The major advantage to this material is water repellancy. By simply coating a cotton fabric with wax will give you some protection from rain. Keep in mind this can also trap heat or rather the perspiration rising from your body. This will make you warm but also sweaty.  So consider wearing an unlined version of what waxed garment if in warmer climes.

You can also coat your own garments. I did that to my black denim Levis fleece jacket. Here in NY we were getting a wet winter so I needed to come up with something and didn't want to spend a small fortune for outerwear that wouldn't have worked anyway. In my case for riding a motorcycle in cold weather but also if I had to roll around in the street. Sometimes an old motorcycle will have an issue which will require you getting dirty.




 I've met construction workers who worked with sheet metal outside wore Filson's Tin Cruiser. It's has a very thick material which seems resistant to getting sliced open like a fillet of fish. This is a big merit for men who work with their hands doing dangerous jobs. This jacket's origins can be traced back to lumberjacks. For instance those in the Pacific Northwest are under constant precipitation so this water repellancy is critical




 You can obviously also wax pants. I've done this for women claiming they want to wear it for riding but then I see them wearing it everywhere. Looks like leather pants so after they lose count of how many compliments they receive I can understand. On that note guys wax theirs as well to include chinos. I waxed flannel lined Dickies work pants.  This will clambake your balls indoors but outdoors they'll thank you.






There's a few methods for waxing or reproofing is it's already a wax cotton garment. Naturally it being cotton helps but also somewhat thick. If using a paste in a tin can lace in very hot almost boiling water in a pan. You can use a rag. If using a bar then obviously rubbing it in via friction works. One of my tricks is to use a hot cloth to really rub it in and make it shine. Also using a steamer helps for that glassy look. Also you can using an electric iron but doesn't work with all brands.

What products to use? Some give a slightly different effect such as dry or wet. This is determined by touch. A safe bet is Otter Wax since they come in a tin or bar. Also fairly easy to use and not terribly expensive like the British brands.


Now I'm definitely not against going out and buying a new article of clothing but is need be you can also modify what you have and make the most of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment